I'm Back!!!

I have really been slacking on keeping up with what has been going on in our lives lately so for those of you who have been reading my blog, I am sorry. Between the end of the school year, a long vacation, and some other random stuff going on I have been way too busy to sit down and write a blog post or look for pictures to put with a post. I am back now, though, and I have a ton of stuff to update you on so get ready for your twice-weekly blog posts to be coming regularly.

Since some of you have seen on my Instagram that Zach and I just got back from a huge vacation I thought I should start with updating you on that. We just returned from a trip of a lifetime to the Mediterranean where we spent just over 2 weeks traveling to 5 countries on a cruise. This trip was not just the two of us- we were on a cruise with a group of 21 people. Zach's family, his brother's new fiancee (congrats, guys!!) and her family, and some family and friends of the new fiancee all made the trip together. It was crazy and fun and exhausting and mindblowing all at the same time.

I have only ever left the country twice. Once I went to the Disney Island which is technically in the Bahamas and once I went to Canada. Since neither time my passport got stamped, I feel like they didn't really count. I know that Canada and the Bahamas ARE other countries, but they were so close to America that I couldn't even tell I was in another country. Since the other two times basically didn't count as leaving, this marked my first official trip out of the country. I now officially have two stamps in my passport (did you know they stamped your passport in AND out of a country?) and am so excited to have some kind of proof of my adventures.

For those of you who want to know what we did and see ALL THE PICTURES, I promise those posts are coming. We did and saw and ate so much that there is no way I could fit everything into just one blog post. Today, though, I thought I would just share about what happened when we got home from the trip. More accurately, I thought I would let you all in on the reality of two twenty-somethings not knowing how to handle jet-lag or how to successfully recover from vacation.

“I won’t be jet-lagged at all!” HAHAHA

After being on vacation for 2 weeks we finally flew home on Friday. We left our hotel in Rome at 8:45 am and arrived home in Southern California at 11:00 pm after traveling for 24 hours. What?!? 9:00am-11:00pm isn't 24 hours?!? The 9 hour time change has me just as confused as you, but I promise I did the math (I am writing this at 2:00 pm and am STARVING even though I just ate lunch because for some reason my body has no idea when to eat and when to let me focus on anything other than food). We thought we were being responsible adults by going straight to bed- not that we had a choice because we were both so exhausted that we could barely function at that point. I remember thinking right before I fell asleep "This will be perfect. I will go to bed at 11:00 and wake up at a normal time and I won't be jet-lagged at all!" HAHAHA, LOL, and whatever other sarcastic laughing slang you can think of.

The next morning I woke up at 5:00 am and Zach woke up a few hours later. We felt great and were thrilled to be home. We went grocery shopping since our fridge was EMPTY, picked up our dog, had lunch, and spent the first part of the day thinking how smart we were for sleeping at a normal time so we wouldn't be so exhausted. Around 4:00 pm we were both really tired and thought we would be responsible adults who napped for an hour so we could stay up to a normal time that night. I had put dinner in the crockpot and set an alarm and everything. Next thing I know it's 1:00 am and Zach is waking me up from my "nap" on the couch because we slept right through the rest of the day. Oops. Of course, this now meant that by 2:00 am I was totally wired and couldn't sleep and spent the next few hours driving Zach crazy by making him watch makeup tutorials on youtube with me while I forced myself to lay in bed since that's where you should be at that time.

I feel like if I had been worried about being jet-lagged maybe I wouldn't have ended up awake and ready for the day at 2:00 am, but isn't that how everything works? You think you have it figured out, you start congratulating yourself on having your life together, and then reality decides to laugh in your face and show you that you have no idea what you are talking about. If a few days of thinking breakfast time is dinner time and lunch is time for bed is the price we had to pay for our Mediterranean adventure I would say it was totally worth it. I think we are past the worst of it (we both successfully made it through our first day back to work without falling asleep or anything), but if we ever make another 9+ hour time change again I would love not to spend the first few days awake in the middle of the night! If you have any magic tricks for beating jet-lag let me know in the comments. Also, if you have any questions about what we did while we were gone let me know so I can be sure to answer them in future blog posts!